|OER typically refers to electronic resources, including those in multimedia formats, and such materials are generally released under a Creative Commons or similar license that supports open or nearly open use of the content.||OER can originate from colleges and universities, libraries, archival organizations, government agencies, commercial organizations such as publishers, or faculty or other individuals who develop educational resources they are willing to share."|
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF OPEN EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES?
1. SAVES COSTS FOR STUDENTS
2. HELPS PREPARATION FOR COURSE AND RETENTION OF KNOWLEDGE AFTER THE COURSE.
3. SHARES BEST PRACTICES INTERNATIONALLY
4. SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY-IT PROVIDES EDUCATION TO ALL
5. RAISES THE STANDARDS OF EDUCATION BY GATHERING MORE CONTRIBUTORS
6. MORE ACCESS TO MORE QUALITY CHOICES
What are Open Textbooks?
Open textbooks are much like regular textbooks except that they were created to be free. They were created to give the instructors using the open textbook the freedom to adapt the book to their class, their students and their pedagogy. Open textbooks are usually licensed under Creative Commons licenses and this mean that the user has the freedom to revise, remix, redistribute, retain, and reuse them. Most importantly, there is no cost for students to use open textbooks